Friday, May 30, 2008

Yes, we are alive...barely.

I feel as though I have fallen off the face of the earth never to be seen again...when in actuality I have been at home with a sick baby.

In the wee hours of Sunday morning a heinous stomach bug broke into my house and stole my child. I say that, because for the next 5 days, I did not recognize the tiny, whiny, sleepyhead person that took over. Landry, happy, smiley, can't-sit-still-for-a-minute, Landry was G-O-N-E.

My girl is also a big hungry and yesterday was the first day she had eaten solid food since the weekend. I am telling you, this was not my child. Bless her heart, she would try so hard to play with her blocks and musical toys, but would then just succumb to the overwhelming urge to lay her head on the nearest thing...the kitchen rug, her highchair, my shoulder (she never does that), the carpet, the tile...anything.

I know I will catch a load of grief for what I am about to say...but I am going to say it anyway. Staying home is not for me. Nominate me for worst mother of the year, if you have to...but I cannot pretend to be something I am not. A stay-at-home mom. I have the utmost respect for stay-at-home moms. My sister being the best of the best. A home-schooling, stay-at-home mom. But I, my friends, am a slacker. I love my job. I love event planning. But I am not a stay-at-home mom.

Today, I enjoyed getting up and getting ready for work, and the Lay Family morning routine. I enjoyed hearing Landry and Dada watching Little Einsteins...dressing Landry for the day, and everyone loading up to go to school and work and planning to meet again at the end of the day.

And you know what? Landry enjoyed it too! This morning, I took her to Ms. Lorie's where she saw her friend Deuce and hugged Ms. Lorie. And before I could tell her I loved her and to have a great day, she turned and looked at me and waved her fat little baby hand and said "Bye, Bye."

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

Girl, I am so sorry. Ella has had 4 stomach viruses since being born and one of them was so bad it landed her in the hospital for dehydration. I know the pain you went through. I'm so glad she is feeling better.