Friday, March 28, 2008

My People

I am currently doing a Bible Study this week and my homework is to write a letter of appreciation and affection...My appreciation to my parents is something that could never be contained in one letter...
I have the best parents...I really do. As to not to offend those that think they have the best parents, I will say I have the best parents for me.

They are super busy with ministry and being about the Lord's business and lovin' on every stinkin' person they meet, but sometimes find time to come see me. This especially happens on haircut Friday when they come to town.

So they came by today, just for a little visit at City Hall. (in my nice newly decorated office) I would be thankful just to call them friends or acquaintances, but I am super blessed to call them Momma and Daddy.

I think what makes them so fantastic is because they just "get" me. It's like a conversation that you can just pick right up where you left off and that no time has passed since our last visit. I have very few relationships like that, but blessedly I share that with them. I have a lot in common with my dad, same humor and sarcasm and personality. But my mom is who I want to be when I grow up.

Sadly, it wasn't always so. I think of how I acted at age 15 towards my mom and cringe that I could ever treat her (the sweetest woman of God I know) that way. I pray that generational sin just skips right on past Landry.

The older I got, the wiser my parents became and I learned to value their approval, opinion and encouragement. I remember one summer working at T Bar M, I would call or write my mom asking her what to do in a certain situation. She never told me her opinion but only gave me scripture to guide me. I asked her for a specific verse that she hoped for me and she gave me:

Romans 12.1&2
1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your
bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act
of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be
transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and
approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

This week while reading I found what I have been trying to put into words. My prayer for Landry. Its Philippians 1.9-11:

9-11So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will
not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your
head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not
sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus
will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ
attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.

Thank you momma and daddy for loving me like Jesus.

3 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

This is the sweetest letter. Your parents are probably bawling as they read it. It's funny how we can be so mean to them growing up and now appreciate their wisdom. How are we going to get through that with our girls? You and I should start a support group!

Ben, Abby and Abe Lowery said...

I love this post! I am super close to my parents too, and they are both amazing. I can totally identify with you here - I was horrible to my mom at times when I was growing up. She has always been such an amazing woman of God, an incredible mother, and now one of my best friends!

Matt, Andrea, Luke and Halle said...

parents are the greatest, huh?