I've been thinking about nicknames lately. There is something especially loving to me in having a special name to call a friend or loved one. I really love hearing what people call their grandparents or what their grandkids call them. I personally have a Mammie, and that name just fits her to a T. And my dad, whose name is Dewey, well, he is Dewdad.
I have found recently that not everyone shares my opinion on nicknames. I asked a woman at church the other day, what she called her daughter. She just looked at me with the most peculiar face and said...."um, Hannah."
I, on the otherhand, have an alternative name for just about everyone in my life. It may be just a shortened version of their name, or a lengthened made-up version of their name or a bizarre, off -the-wall name that makes no sense what-so-ever.
So, for Robert. His names include:
Bob
Bobby
Roberto
Umberto
Love
Sugar
and Pancho.
Landry
Landrus
Landru
Landruski
Landrini
The Girl
Tom
Tomgirl
My friend Molly is of course Mol, Mols or my favorite Hot Ta-Molly.
My friend at work, Jan Moon, she is Janster Moonican.
So what is your nickname? I've gotta know!
Oh, yeah! My bestie and my sister, Melissa. What else would I call her but....SISTER! ; )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
so fun! i've never been a huge nickname person - not for any particular reason, i guess i'm just not creative enough! :) but, i've had lots of nicknames over the years:
Abbers
Abster
Abofgail
Abigail
Shortstack
Little Bit
Nicknames are really endearing. Ben and I are finding that we love to call our little Izzie by different names - they just pop out sometimes! Izzster, Bizzie Bear (our favorite!), Izzie Bear, Izzie Girl, Lickymonster...Can't wait for kids - no telling what we'll come up with for them! :)
I also have always loved your nicknames for people! You are very creative in that department. The one you have for me is my favorite...Janellybean or just Jellybean! :-)
I LOVE this post! I, too, am crazy about nicknames. My students used to get their feelings hurt if I called them by their actual names.
I think that there is an intimacy that comes with having a nickname that makes people feel special!
Our list is:
Laners
Lanes
Love Bug
Laney Bug
Bugsy
Sweets
I heart nicknames too. Landon calls me baby now sometimes because he hears Dave call me that.
I call Landon- Land or Lando.
Logan we call Scooter or Lo Lo.
I guess some people call me The Bargain Shopper Lady or BSL but I have no idea where that one came from.
I love nicknames!! I too have them for most everyone close to me. We even have nicknames for our dogs. :)
Ms. Landry is absolutely adorable by the way! :)
Post a Comment