Monday, July 14, 2008

Happy First Birthday Landry!

Disclaimer: I have written about the day Landry was born, so I that I won't forget the details of the day. If you are squeamish, you may want to skip this one.




Dear Landry,

Happy Birthday, Lovie!

Do you know what a special gift from God you are? We waited a long time for you, but you were well worth the wait. I am so thankful God chose me and dada to be yours.

I cannot believe you are a year old. It seems like just yesterday Dada and I were driving to the hospital to have you. I will always remember what an eventful day your birthday was. 2007 was a terribly rainy summer and Lake Texoma went over the spillway a week before your birthday for only the 3rd time ever.



Dr. Parker was out of town on vacation so we scheduled to induce labor on the first day he returned. I was thankful you didn't decide to come sooner when he was gone. We were told to be at the hospital around 6:30 a.m. We were on our way on Highway 84 just a mile or so from the hospital when the car in front of us started swerving and ran off the road right before the railroad overpass. Your daddy pulled over and ran down the embankment to see if everyone was alright, while I called the police dept. The lady, a nurse, had fallen asleep at the wheel on her way to work. Thankfully because of all the mud, it slowed her car down so she didn't hit the fence or the railroad tracks, which might have flipped her car. After the police arrived, your daddy politely excused himself so we could go meet you! Luckily it was a scheduled induction and I was not in labor or I might have had to leave that lady stuck in the mud! : )

When we got to the hospital, a girl had just beaten us up to labor and delivery and had gotten the last room. That was okay, because we knew her and she was due on the same day as you. We were at all of our appointments together and she had decide to let Dr. P induce her too. No argument there!

Our day got more interesting as they set us up in what they called the "manger" because there were no more rooms. It was actually the triage room, but it really looked more like a storage closet. I got changed and settled in, they hooked me up to the monitors and checked my measurements. Praise the Lord, I was dilated to a three already! Praise the Lord again, I was having steady contractions that I couldn't even feel! They started me on pitocin to progress things along even faster.

We told our family that there was no hurry for them to come up to the hospital because it would most likely be a while before you made your arrival. But around 8:30 AM, we are sitting in the tiny manger with Dada, Dewdad, G'Momma, Granddad, and Aunt Kerrie! By this time I started feeling the contractions and started squeezing all the available hands around me. Some short time later Dr. P came in and broke my water and then I got to walk down to a REAL labor and delivery room. Shortly, your Aunt Lissa and Mimi arrived...along with Aunt Alice, Cousin Logan, Uncle Mark and Grandma...plus many other visitors too. It wasn't very long either before I could have an epidural and then I was very relaxed and could enjoy the company.

A little before 3 o'clock it was time to start pushing. Remember that girl that came in L&D right before me. She was ready to push at the same time! Dr. P was running back and forth between rooms telling each of us that the other one was winning! It was too funny!

Your dada and I had discussed before hand that we were going to be the only ones in the room while you were born. That soon changed when after one push, your dada turned white as a sheet and nearly passed out. I looked him straight in the eye and asked him to focus. Once I had his full attention I said, "Robert, go get my mama!" G'Momma gladly came to our rescue and was able to help coach me and your dada. Finally Robert's coaching abilities came out too! He kept telling me to focus on the goal and visualize the end zone. He had me laughing in the middle of labor! What a crazy!



All along, Dr. Parker said he thought you would weigh around 6 1/2 lbs. Boy was he surprised when you were so big you got stuck! He threatened to use forceps and that was the motivation I needed for one last big push.

You were born July 14, 2007 at 3:41 PM. You weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz. and were 20 1/2 inches long. What a big girl!

And now you are an even bigger girl as you are turning 1! Walking, talking, giggling and playing pee-a-boo. You and I make lots of silly faces at each other and laugh. You love TV remotes, telephones, hiding in little Landry spots that only you could fit in. You have 7 teeth with 2 molars trying to work their way in now! And you love to eat! You come by that honestly.


It was not long ago that I pleaded with God, after years of trying, to give me a baby of my own. I can recall singing "Your Grace is Sufficient for Me" at church one Sunday morning. And for the first time in a long time, I meant it. Not long after that, on a business trip to San Angelo, alone in a hotel room, I praised God and wept while holding a positive pregnancy test in my hand.

This year on Mother's Day, we dedicated you to God. Surrounded by our family, we once again sang "Your Grace is Sufficient for Me" and I meant it all over again.



Landry, you are my precious, precious and a true gift from God. Happy Birthday, Sugar!


I love you!


Mama



1 Samuel 1:27

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.

2 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

Oh Amy, this story is SO SWEET. Tears are threatening to run down my face. I didn't realize that you guys tried for so long. I can't imagine how hard that must have been.
Happy Birthday sweet Landry!!! You are blessed with amazing parents.

On complete side note: Ella was born at 3:42 p.m.! We almost had our babies at the exact time. :-)

Ms Frenzy said...

Well, you managed to make me cry too. I only wish I could have done this for my children.
You are such a Loving mother and I am Proud to have you as my daughter-in-law and my granddaughters Mother. My son did WELL for himself.
I love you all,
MiMi