Friday, November 30, 2007

The Lost Retainer

God is so good to me. Far better than I deserve. Sadly, sometimes I need reminding.

So the story starts when I was in middle school I had braces to straighten my smile. A very generous orthodontist donated his services to my family free of charge. My mom, sister and I all had braces for free. I got my braces off and wore my retainer for many years until losing it somehow in college. My teeth started to shift and by the time I found the retainer again, it no longer fit properly. Because of my pride, I didn't want to return to the orthodontist and tell him so I just lived with it.

This year I have had one tooth that had really started to bother me and make me self-conscious. Robert finally told me to just go see about getting it fixed. So here I got to the same orthodontist just knowing that he would think how irresponsible I am. Boy was I wrong. He was wonderful. I have started wearing a series of five retainers that will straighten my smile again and they are working already. I wore the first one for a month, and then on Thanksgiving I switched to the second retainer. That is, until I lost it last Tuesday. I felt so stupid and of course the pride sets in all over again. I can't call and tell them I lost my retainer. What an idiot! So my prayer is: God, you know I am an idiot but will you help me find my retainer anyway?

I knew I had eaten at Sonic and went back and even dug through the trash. I had gone to get my car inspected...not there. Tax office....nope. Insurance office, unhuh! I left a note for our janitor at work, and was hoping it would magically appear on my desk the next morning, but was sorely disappointed. I make the dreaded phone call to the orthodontist office. They make me an appointment for yesterday afternoon at 3 p.m.

I am driving home for lunch yesterday, praying and telling God, okay you have until 3 p.m. to prove yourself. (Like He needs to prove anything! Or needs to stick to my schedule!) I pull in the garage and think, I will just look through my car one last time! I slide my seat back and BAM! There it was, under my feet! I had already looked there twice! I found my self yelling in praise to God in my garage, with my neighbor confirming his suspicions that I am indeed crazy! But I didn't care. My prayer: thank you Lord for being faithful to me, even when I am dumb!

I called and cancelled my appointment! Called Robert (who was in class) and screamed in the phone! God is so good!

Now I find myself thinking, how often to I ask God for things, answers to questions, or wisdom but then never slow-down to receive them or see that He has answered me. Just like the retainer, which I prayed to find for 3 days, He had placed at my feet the entire time! Forgive me Lord when I rush through life, not recognizing the faithful Father that you are! All I have need of, His hands will provide, He's always been faithful to me.

1 comment:

Ben, Abby and Abe Lowery said...

isn't it awesome that He cares about the "little things?" i love how He works and how He chooses to reveal Himself to us. such a neat story - and i have had the same experience with my teeth. i've been too prideful to go back to the dentist/orthodontist and get my teeth straightened again! maybe you've inspired me? we shall see! :)